Many of us don’t associate our day to day vision problems and frustrations with the true culprit – DRY EYES!
Symptoms of Dry Eyes are numerous and vary in intensity. They may include any or all of the following:
- Discomfort or burning and painful eyes
- Watery eyes
- Blurred vision or fluctuating vision
- A feeling of tiredness
- Light sensitivity
The incidence of Dry Eye is associated with the following:
- Age! Estimates suggest the incidence of dry eye in over 50’s is around 50%
- Computer and digital device use associated with a reduced blink rate
- Many health conditions including diabetes, glaucoma, post menopause in women
- Many medications either cause or exacerbate dry eye symptoms
- Allergy – the symptoms are similar to dry eyes
- After eye surgery eg cataract or laser
- Dry climate or air conditioning
Treatment options for Dry Eye Syndrome include:
- Drops and ointments– there are a plethora of options available so we strongly suggest you have an examination with your optometrist to ascertain the possible causes, severity and best treatment options for your particular situation.
- Omega 3 supplements (2000mg daily)
- Heat treatments and masks
- Medications including Topical Steroids and Cyclosporine
Be realistic about the timeline for treatment -Unfortunately the condition is chronic, progressive and can’t be cured so the key to managing your symptoms is persistence and diligence! It may take several months to feel any benefit from treatment, particularly in longstanding moderate to severe disease.
Need more information? Book an appointment today!